Scalp massages are a great way to start a hair service. Of course, a good scalp massage makes the guest feel relaxed and stimulated, but believe it or not, there is a reason why the scalp feels so happy by the time the guests leave Virtue Salon.
There are so many benefits to a scalp massage:
- Conditions the scalp
- Prevents dryness and flakes
- Softens the hair to make more manageable
- Helps spread natural oils
- Strengthens roots/nourishes hair shaft
- Promotes blood circulation
- Helps prevent brittleness and split ends
Our primary goal when we massage our guests is to promote relaxation and the production of “feel good” chemicals that work against stress hormones. We apply pressure to the scalp to increase blood flow and circulation through the blood vessels. This pressure sets the hair follicle cells to receive more nutrients necessary to help with hair growth. The pressure of massage on the scalp, as well as the “feel good” chemicals it produces, help your organs to function more efficiently while also aiding in hair growth.
Massaging the Virtue way
Not only does a scalp massage help guests relax and build trust between them and their stylist, it really shows extra care to make guests comfortable and confident in their salon choice.
Here’s how we do it:
1. Kneading motions around the hairline (Make sure to keep your hands on the head all throughout the massage. This helps with keeping the guest relaxed.)
2. Press and hold out with your thumbs going from the top of the forehead to the top/back section of the head.
3. Circular movements behind and in front of the ears moving up to the top of the head.
4. Massage up the neck and to the nape area of the head using pinching motions.
5. At the apex of the head and with your hands going opposite ways so your fingers touch, apply pressure and move towards the center of the scalp going back and forth.
6. Move back down to the ears with one finger in front of the ear and one behind. Apply pressure while moving up and down the head.
7.Have one hand on top of the scalp and the other on the back. Move both hands toward each other and away from the head releasing tension.
8. Last, brush through the hair showing the guest the massage is almost done.
*Also, each step should be repeated at least three times
Altogether, scalp massages create extra relaxation, move toward improving someone’s mood, and potentially improves hair health. The Virtue team loves to make guests feel welcome and comfortable at our salon. You can't go wrong with that!
Post by Shayla!